Tuesday, September 12, 2006

All in a days knit

I finally finished the main body of the shawl. I wove in all the ends and now need to do some sewing on one spot and figure out what kind of border I want to add. I even fixed the mistake at the beginning. Before I bound off this monster I counted the stitches, there were 330 stitches and to think I started off with 12. I did a little research on bindoffs because my standard one is always too tight. I know about the bind off with a larger needle thing but I didn't want to do that. This shawl needed something different. So I performed what's called a Russian bind off.
Please ignore the junk in the background.
In this method, you knit(or purl) 2 together. Then you take the resulting stitch, put it back on your other needle, and perform another knit two together with it and the next stitch. It goes fast, and uses a lot of yarn so if you do your math you won't run out. I have to say I was mightily pleased with the results. You can't feel the bound off edge and you can't see it either. It stretches just as much as the rest of the fabric. I'll probably never use the standard bind off again.

Now I have a few things left to do and some questions to answer... Block it first or last? Knit the border separate and sew on? Pick up stitches and knit it on? What kind of border? Any suggestions here will be great, I'm just so darn happy I'm done with this stage.

Have you noticed the new link on the right hand side? Yep, it goes to the yarn store of mine. Still haven't got all the stuff set up but aren't the photo's wonderful? I better hurry up cause those are going in the guild show and I will be tagging them as soon as they arrive in the mail. I may be investing in a label maker this year. J is already like "duh!" Then I can make proper ball bands. I also need to run into town and get a new winder.
Well gotta run and do some net surfing. I may wind up selling this shawl after all.
Toodles!

1 Comments:

Blogger dragon knitter said...

are you going to touche next week? vive la revolucion!

9/22/2006 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home