Saturday, January 20, 2007

IDEAS

I was listening to some old Cast on Like I said, and came across Franklin’s talk about knitting the seamless raglan sweater from E.Z’s knitting without tears. It was a cute comment and I went to the book looking to see if the “house on fire" comment was there…It was SO cute! That got me to thinking though about my next sweater.
I spun just short of 2 lbs for this sweater so I will probably spin another 2 lbs or so for the next one. But what will it be?
I was looking at making a raglan sweater for my husband but it went badly. I was thinking of re- doing it with this method considering that most of it is already done except the sleeves. This does mean I will have to rip back the top to the beginning of the chest shaping but I don’t think it will be so much of a problem.

On the idea of the next hand spun sweater…. I’ve got enough Romney wool to make another sweater. This one will be a raglan 3 ply yarn on size 10 needles knit in plain stockinette stitch. Now why would I want to do that? Sounds boring doesn't it? Not to me, I like plain clothes. It makes coordinating a lot easier. I seem to have a guys taste in clothes. I was thinking about opening a hand knit sweater store for men. Course then I looked on Etsy and noticed I'm not the first with this idea.

Honestly though, stockinette is fast and easy, as well as it lets me concentrate on learning how to make the sweater instead of having to blend a pattern into the lesson. I read the technique directions for the raglan seamless and It makes a logical kind of sense. Everything is the same until you've joined the sleeves to the body. Then you make k2tog k 1 ssk decrease sets at the 4 points where the sleeves and body meet. I’m not sure what happened to Franklin, but I will give it a shot. Course I haven’t finished the yoke sweater yet. It may wind up too short in the body and sleeves, which would throw the whole thing off.
Any way…
The new Job continues, and all goes well. I have found that I knit stockinette at a rate of 9 inches per hour. The scarf is only 7.5 inches wide and is knitted flat. I think that’s fine cause it means my estimation of how long it will take was only off by an hour.

Back to sweater ideas, I can see a black and white pattern on a yoke sweater or a Gansey in blue using 2 cables on the front and 2 on the back, with seed stitch in between for a few inches, followed by a stockinette stitch space, then a garter stitch star up bu the neck. It would be like looking through a gateway to the sea at night.
*

11 ---------- 11
11 -------------- 11
11 - - - - - - - - - - 11
11- - - - - - - -- - - - - 11
11 - - - - - - - - - - - - -11

Something like that. All that in textured stitches. Wow, maybe I will skip the raglan. Here’s an idea, I could knit a bunch of bodies and sleeves and then pick up and knit the rest of the sweaters however I wanted to. That way I would not have to make each one from scratch and could customize them with out much work. A great thing would be to use my husbands sock machine to make the bodies and then knit the sleeves myself, then finish up with what ever. Great way to make bear clothes.
Any way, gotta go, I have a knit meeting this morning.
Toodles!

1 Comments:

Blogger dragon knitter said...

i like that idea! i actually registered to sell on etsy yesterday, but haven't posted anything yet. waiting for the sun to come back out, lol.

we missed you thursday. it was a quiet night, except for carin talking about some patient having a heart attack in his butt (and it didn't get much better from there, lol)

1/20/2007 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home